Monday, November 23, 2009

Cauliflower Casserole


Recipe #31: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_and_easy/cauliflower_casserole.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dinnerclub_20Nov2009

Bah. I don't think this one turned out the way it was supposed to. I seem to have ongoing cheese sauce thickening issues. I don't know where I went wrong with this recipe. Was it using half an onion instead of a whole onion? Was it using skim milk although they don't specify what kind of milk to use? Surely it can't have been using dried parsley instead of fresh. I have no idea...

Yes, I did a few minor modifications to this recipe. Skim milk, half an onion because it was left over from Thursday's recipe, dried parsley because fresh herbs don't live here (yet). I also used a full tsp of dried mustard to try and give a little more "zip" to the sauce. I don't think my cheese was old but it was definitely cheddar.

The cauliflower steamed well while I burnt the flour/onion/milk mixture into the bottom of the saucepan. Is that why it didn't thicken? I didn't even know about the burnt until I emptied the sauce onto the broccoli. Maybe I didn't simmer the mixture long enough? But I did wait until it coated the back of a spoon as directed. And we all know how hard waiting is for me...

In the end, while the sauce is fairly soupy and a teeny bit separated (don't look closely when you eat it), the final product is somewhat healthy and tasty so I guess I'll be eating it for the rest of the week. I think I'd better go back to making soups for a while to restock my freezer. I haven't messed up any soups too badly...

No comments:

Post a Comment