Friday, September 4, 2009

The Ultimate Salad Recipe

This recipe is an informal one. It stems from my college student days where I took a lot of salad to school for lunch because pasta was too difficult to reheat. My friends would always marvel at my salads and asked me what I put in them. It always varies but I like to use whatever's handy most times which can lead to some odd additions. If I were to make the "ultimate" salad with every ingredient available, here's what I'd put in it:

alfalfa sprouts
chick peas
a hard-boiled egg
cheddar cheese
carrots
celery
apple pieces
mandarin orange sections (the canned ones, drained)
spring mix lettuce
raw spinach
tomato
cucumber
broccoli
cauliflower
green or red seedless grapes
dill pickle pieces
sunflower seeds
pine nuts
croutons
pieces of ham
walnuts
almonds
raisins
strawberries
pieces of pear (the less ripe the better)
mushrooms
pieces of chicken
whole wheat rotini pasta (cooked and drained)
green beans
bean sprouts
snow peas
kohlrabi
cashews

That's one heck of a salad! What's your favourite combination?

1 comment:

  1. holy salad batman!! Love it!! I personally enjoy peanuts, cheddar cheese and ranch dressing over any kind of lettuce and veggies. yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete