Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rice Krispie "Squares"

Haha, we're kicking it old school this morning. I needed a way to use up a box of Rice Krispies, and since I don't really like them as cereal because they go soggy about 1.26 seconds after milk makes contact, I decided to make some squares. It was also a good way to use up the remainder of a bag of marshmallows that I found.

I had a bit of a bad experience the last time I tried this recipe. Back then, I used stale marshmallows and semi-stale cereal which resulted in a discovery that not all marshmallows will melt, no matter how much heat is applied to them. I tried melting mine (last time) in the traditional stove method, but when I ended up with a gooey blob of butter-coated marshmallows, I resorted to the microwave method. That netted me an overflowing bowl of mostly unmelted, butter-coated marshmallow goo, and a big, sticky mess to clean later. When I finally threw it back in the pot with a thunk, the cereal refused to stick to it no matter how much I stirred. It was damn ugly. I threw it out and started again. My cousin Jenny told me later that she once melted a spatula into her marshmallow mix so at least there are two of us who've messed up such a basic recipe.

This time around, having learned from my past mistakes, I had fresh ingredients. Once again, I started with the stovetop method for no particular reason other than the fact that I like cooking with my big camping pot. It's kind of ghetto in a fun way. Only problem is, the bottom of the pot is rather concave so it doesn't all touch the burner. Not only does this result in uneven heat distribution, but all the butter ran to the outside edges of the bottom as it melted. Meh, who cares?

I used exactly 41 big marshmallows because that's how many were left in the bag. They melted in a satisfactory manner, but glued themselves quite strongly to the pot in the process. I told you: ghetto. This glue-like property of my marshmallow mess made things rather difficult when it came time to stir in the cereal. The marshmallows seemed to prefer to stick to the pot, but eventually, with the help of a spatula and a wooden spoon, I convinced most of the marshmallow mess to adhere to the cereal.

I put the finished product downstairs in my front entryway which serves as a cold cellar this time of year. It cooled pretty quickly and nicely, resulting in a most delicious giant dessert. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. The spatula was white too, so you couldn't tell it from the marshmallows... I tossed the whole mixture (and the spatula)!