Monday, November 26, 2012

Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Pineapple

Recipe #97: Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Pineapple

Well, my only class today got cancelled so instead of working on an assignment that is due in a few days, I decided that I would put that off in favour of finally doing something culinary with the pineapple and yams that have been staring accusingly at me for a while now.

In a fit of what can only be described as "what WAS I thinking?", I recently bought two yams. Yams? I don't even really like yams. He doesn't care for them either, if memory serves, so why did I bring them home? Oh, right - the new What's Cooking magazine showed up in the mail the other day and I thought the above recipe looked good. Lucky for me, it IS good!

Tasty on Instagram!













I'm not quite sure how their suggested 4 sweet potatoes equates to about 2 lbs/900g. My two monsters weighed roughly that combined although I ended up using only about 1.5 yams after cutting off the parts that got fed up with waiting to be eaten. I didn't buy pre-cut pineapple to be sure to have 3 cups since it was more cost effective to buy a whole pineapple and use whatever it gave me (I estimated 1 1/2 cups). Next time, I'll buy 2 pineapples - the more, the merrier! I had to rehydrate my brown sugar with hot water in the microwave to get it to crumble enough to use; I used butter instead of margarine; and I added the suggested 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper for kick. I happened to have olive flavoured cooking spray on hand so I used that for the baking sheet.

Aside from having to hack up the yams (about as much fun as washing all the dishes...), this recipe was simple to make. I ended up with about a 2:1 yam to pineapple ratio in the end, and it has a nice shot of taste to it with the added pepper. Better still, it is a simple and delicious way to get some extra vitamins into me, especially if he won't eat any. Bonus: I LOVE HOT PINEAPPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment